Instruments In The Redeemer's Hands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 1-3

Go down

Chapters 1-3 Empty Chapters 1-3

Post by AndrewKoch Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Hey everyone!! I hope you've all had a restful and reinvigorating May!

I found the first three chapters to be a really interesting introduction, and I think Tripp really does a good job of orienting his reader to receive the rest of the book well.

Chapter 1 did a good job of dispelling some of the false notions that I am prone to believing. As someone with a science background, I am always ready to give advice based on what I know to be effective from clinical trials and experiments, or, as Tripp puts it, to provide the strategies and techniques rather than the truths of Scripture. While I would argue that in parts of the first chapter, Tripp is overly dismissive of “secular” approaches to solving people’s problems, the main thrust of his argument stands. We must strive to bring people closer to Jesus and show them that he is their redeemer. I found Tripp’s explanation of the harmfulness of sin useful. I often find myself giving into the lies of autonomy and self-sufficiency, especially, as well as foolishness. Mostly, though, remembering that our sin causes us to be incapable of doing good, even when we want to. To me, that was the most stark reminder of how great the damages of sin truly are, and how much I need to rely on God in everything.  

The thing that struck me most in Chapter 2 was the idea that we need to be more than conduits of God’s love. It is an easy thing to get in the mindset of not being a “professional” and trying to pass along people who need Jesus in their lives to someone more “qualified.” I pray that I will allow God to use me as a tool, being active in doing His work and carrying out His will, rather than a passive channel.

I am so excited to read the rest of the book! I think it will really help us all grow in our own relationships with God as well as better equip us to serve the people God brings into our lives. Please keep me in your prayers as I prepare to leave for Washington, D.C. for the summer!

Andrew

AndrewKoch

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum