Instruments In The Redeemer's Hands
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brandon Pedersen - Where to start

Go down

Brandon Pedersen - Where to start Empty Brandon Pedersen - Where to start

Post by Admin Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 am

The first three chapters of this book are packed. There is so much good stuff here that I don't even know where to start.

Page 2 - "Sin altered every though, desire, word, and deed. It created a world of double-mindedness and mixed motives, self-worship and self-absorption. People desired to be served, but they hated serving. They craved control and nurtured delusions of self-sufficiency. They forgot their Creator, but worshiped his creation. Rather than loving people and using things to express it, people loved things and used people to get them."

Does this not describe sin perfectly? I've been a believer for 14 years and in my heart I still see the sinful tendency to expect things from others that I do no expect from myself. To think more about what other's should be doing rather than what I should be doing, thinking about how others are failing me rather than I am failing them, being more thankful to myself than I am to others. In a single week I can boast with pride and then turn around and shrink with insecurity. This double-mindedness runs deep. Praise be to God he has given me a route to escape it - the Gospel.

Page 18 “Ephesians four propels us beyond a life consumed by personal happiness and achievement. Your life is much bigger than a good job, an understanding spouse, and non-delinquent kids. It is bigger than beautiful garden, nice vacations and fashionable clothes. In reality, you are part of something immense, something that began before you were born and will continue after you die. God is rescuing fallen humanity, transporting them into his kingdom, and progressively sharing them into his likeness-and he wants you to be a part of it.”

Praise God for this. My life is bigger than personal happiness and achievement - self-focus and selfish success can't carry my soul.

To keep this short I will just add that I loved the discussion on how to use the Bible on page 24. It is so important to know how to use the Bible for change. We often use the Bible in the wrong way and can convince ourselves that the Bible way doesn't bring change when we have never actually tried to use in the way it is meant to be used - to confront and change our HEARTS! not our behavior.

The analogy on It's Not Your Party - is so great!

On page 40-41 Tripp starts to share with us some good biblical anthropology - if you don't understand that - you don't understand yourself or anyone else. We are revelation receivers, interpreters and worshipers. I can't stress enough how key this is to understanding ourselves and others. If you get this it will change your whole Christian life x 1,000!

Admin
Admin

https://equipusd.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum